Tuesday, 16 April 2013

Simplicity 1920 - A simple top for spring

I have made a new top :)

Here I am wearing it enjoying the first day of warmer temperatures with one of my trusty canine companions:


It's a woven T-shirt (at least that's how I would describe it), but with darts, made entirely from a large a-line skirt I bought from our charity shop. It didn't really yield enough fabric for a top but I liked it enough to fiddle about until I got the spots aligned centre front and back. I don't know if you can see on the photo, but the spots have broken lines floating across them, they look like spooky full moons (or a romantic sunset, depending on your turn of mind). If I was in to naming my clothes, which I'm not (honestly, naming the kids was hard enough!), I would call it the Full Moon Top. So maybe it's just as well I leave the clothes naming to  others!! The sleeves are cut as one with the body and the scoop neck is finished like a knit, stretching bias around to fit. I like this finish better than turn and sew.

This is the second time I have made this top. I like the deep scoop neck on my 'busty' figure. The first time I followed the instructions for the 'sleeves' which was to edge-stitch them and leave a little slit at the end. I thought it made them stick out strangely and just sewed to the end this time. The sleeves still stick out but the finish is better and I think this shape is quite good for arm flattery.

The only other alteration I made was to add an inch to the length and make an elastic casing so the fabric kind of bags instead of hanging straight. I should have taken a picture standing up and back view too, but being new to blogging and still not enjoying having my picture taken, I went for what was most comfortable.The photo does not show the top off to the best effect. It looks like my posture could use some work, too!

This is the pattern envelope:


Not incredibly inspiring I agree but plenty of scope for adding details and quick to sew up, so I will definitely be making this again.

In other sewing news: It's time to sign up for Me-Made-May if you're doing it this year. I am signing up but am currently thinking what the best pledge would be for me, given that I still have very few handmade clothes and Zoe's (very sensible) prohibition on panic sewing!! I will post when I have decided.
My fleece coat is progressing and my pile of sewing for others is about where it was...it's quite boring to read about all my alterations, and really I started to post about them to force myself to do them. So I have decided to take the pile and do it all in one massive sewing session. Tell you when it's done, then none of us need ever hear of this again :) I have got some lovely new ideas for my blog for after May which I am looking forward to sharing.

Gratuitous cute dogs pic to sign off!


Happy sewing, 'til next time!

5 comments:

  1. Very cute top! What a nice refashion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a cute new top! And I'm kind of in love with the name Spooky New Moon top. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely top - it looks like it will be very versatile. I am going to copy you and keep my eyes open for extra large skirts in charity shops. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It works really well, especially if you can find gathered or flared styles. Last time I made this top I used the bottom of a button through dress. You can wrap it around yourself upside down to see if there is enough fabric (ignore any funny looks!). Sometimes I unpick all the seams to harvest the fabric if there isn't very much, other times I just plonk the pattern straight on top. Happy hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely, comfortable looking top - that swooping neckline is such a becoming style. I've not encountered many ladies that it didn't look lovely on. You can never go wrong with polka dots (of any size) in my books either.

    You're such a great seamstress, dear Philippa!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete