Friday, 17 May 2013

Sewing Setbacks

I am feeling disheartened as while wearing my new denim skirt today, I became aware of a burning sensation on my left side. Investigations revealed a big red rash. I have a very extreme nickel allergy and used a vintage metal zip from my stash which must contain some :(

To correct this there is a ton of unpicking to do and since inserting the zip was my least favorite bit of making this skirt I am feeling pretty fed up! When I get over my strop, I am thinking of somehow creating a side button fastening. Much safer!

And for further reference, no more metal zips, ever!

How do you deal with hiccups in your projects? Am I the only one who has to come back to an 'issue' when I am feeling calmer?!

Happy sewing, 'til next time!

4 comments:

  1. Most of my sewing strops go on my Pile of Shame....which is quite Himalayan like in proportions.Quite by chance I went back to something that was languishing on this pile and re-jiggled it yesterday and will blog about it soon.It turned out not so much of a disaster in the end.
    I hate side zips full stop they always make me itch .but don't give up on your skirt there is always another day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is a shame! The good news is that I think a lot of modern zips are made from plastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have my complete and total understanding, my fellow nickel allergy suffer. I'm crazy sensitive to this pesky commonplace metal, too, and have had to part with (or alter) many a garment over the years because it contained fastenings or embellishments that were no nickel-free.

    Buttons are the way to go for sure - and, really, let's face it, they usually look a whole lot cuter than a zipper anyhow, so it's a win-win across the boards.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh bummer! I guess I'm lucky nobody makes zips out of ragweed or cat hair! Hopefully it doesn't set you back too much.

    Sometimes, I have to let a problem languish while I think it over. Maybe that's better, as you really have time to go over all the options, rather than making a quick fix. I'm just now going to try to fix a dress I made a year and a half ago. It took me that long to think of a possible fix (and stop hating the dress too much, hehe.)

    ReplyDelete