Monday, 3 June 2013

Beautiful Bag

I didn't make this lovely bag, sadly.
But someone did!


I spied it in a deli we frequent on holiday for it's lovely coffee and cake, and my husband offered to buy it for me :)


 It's very sturdy and well-made with boxed corners, and is fully reversible.

The reason I am posting it (apart from to share it's loveliness with you all!), is to ask whether anyone knows the name of the special effect on the front, so that I can look up how it's done. At first I thought it was slashed tucks, but on closer inspection there is more than one layer of fabric in each row. The rows remind me of furrows in fields and the bright sunny colours just say "sea and sand" to me. Possibly I am reading too much into the design, although it was produced in the country by the sea, and maybe that influenced the maker's choices.

Gorgeous texture

Admiring this bag lead to another thought which seems so obvious now but hasn't really occurred to me before. (I think I am a bit slow sometimes!) Next time I want an item I can't make myself or thrift I will check out what is available made by someone else for sale.

Thank you to whoever made this bag :) I know it will accompany me on all my forays this summer!

Happy sewing, 'til next time!


  1. I'm afraid I don't know the name of that eye-catchingly lovely technique either (sorry). I've seen it here and there before over the years, especially at (products sold at) craft fairs, but again, I truly don't know what it's called. You've piqued my interest big time now about that, too. Should I happen to find out at any point, I'll definitely let you know.

    Big hugs & merry Monday wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

  2. LOvely bag - I can see what you mean about it reminding you of furrows. I don't know the technique though. x

  3. Hi, I found your blog through MMM'13, you've made some lovely things:-)
    About the bag that your husband bought for you, I'm not 100% sure but it looks very similar to the technique used for rag quilts. In rag quilts you leave your seam allowances exposed on the outside and normally use "fuzzy" fabrics like flannels. When you're done with your seams you slice the seam allowances perpendicularly every 2 cm or so but you stop short of the seam lines. When you're done slicing slits in the exposed seam allowances you wash the whole shebang on a hot cycle and preferably fluff up the seam allowances even more by putting the fabric in the dryer. On your bag it looks like several fabric were sandwiched together with regular seams evenly spaced in a criss cross pattern and then the resulting fabric was then slashed between the seam lines but not all the way down to the bottom fabric/layer. The resulting fabric was then probably fluffed up on a hot washing cycle + dryer. That's obviously guesswork but that's what it looks like to me :-)

    1. Oh hello! I still get excited when someone new (or anyone really!) comments on my blog, so thank you, and for your lovely compliment :)Your explanation makes sense to me, I have an idea for where I would like to use this technique (a couple actually), which is why I am so curious! If you have a blog I would love to visit, you can leave the address here or on my email

  4. I've seen that technique before too, but don't know its "official" name. You lay several fabrics in toning colours over each other, and stitch them together in some decorative pattern. In the case of your bag, some simple parallel lines. Lastly, you slash all layers bar the bottom one between the rows of stitching, thus exposing the different colours in the layers of fabrics, and fluff up the exposed raw edges through washing a few times...

  5. Thank you Carolyn I hoped you would know how to do this, as I know from your blog you have done quite a lot of sewing other than garment making in the past. I am planning to use this technique. I hadn't seen it before but I think maybe when you start sewing more seriously, you notice a lot of new stuff!

  6. Phillippa: Heather, of Closet Case Files replied to your comment on my blog, that she will be dealing with adding extra support to the cups of the Bombshell swimsuit during her sewalong.

  7. Hi, I believe this effect is called chenille. There are some YouTube movies with details like this one:

    1. Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for.