Saturday, 6 July 2013

Spring Sewing Swap 2013!

Well, I am really enjoying the social side of sewing + blogging right now. Truthfully, apart from trying to uphold a few standards/meet a few challenges with my sewing, this was why I started this blog. I live in a rural county where the chances of meeting someone with a similar hobby in the normal course of my life are virtually non-existent. I tried making a big effort whenever I met someone new (when it was appropriate - obviously I didn't go around with a loud speaker!), to mention I liked to sew in case they too were hiding this skill. But none of them were, and worse I got a few sideways looks! So until recently my only dressmaking companion has been Gloria, my trusted tailor's dummy. Wonderful in her way, but not really communicative...

...so when I saw Kerry of Kestrel Makes was holding a Spring Sewing Swap, I decided it was a lovely opportunity to forge new links and also give a little back (I had been following some sewing blogs long before I actually took the plunge to join in).

Well, I got lucky! I was paired with fellow dog lover, knitter, sewer and all round good sport, twotoast from Spotty Dog Social Club. Before I show you what I received I want to share a little story. Towards the end of May, I became ill. I have a couple of underlying health conditions which lower my immunity so this is nothing new, but the tonsillitis I had spread to my eyes and my ears/sinus. I only left the house to go to the doctor's office or the odd dog walk in the field (I hate not being able to walk the dogs), for 19 days. It was during a particularly hopeless-feeling part of this period, that my parcel arrived. My eyes did actually fill with tears, it was so lovely to receive such a generous parcel from another part of the world when I was feeling so low.

Here's what fell out on to my table, when I opened the parcel. Where to start?

Maybe with my new sewing pattern?

Or how about this gorgeous, multi-toned wool, which I believe may be hand -dyed?

Or perhaps you are feeling the need for a relaxing bath, with an all-natural Canadian beauty product? (OK, it's nothing to do with sewing - but we all love a pamper after slaving over our hot machines, right?!)

But wait, there's more! Inside the little hand-made zippered bag (which I confess, may be close to being my favorite item in the parcel), there are more goodies!

(Clockwise from left) - Ribbon, little buttons in the shape of sewing notions, a book mark (sigh, I love books), a  snail tape measure (to help with my slow sewing!) and some gorgeous black lace. I want to use this to trim a special top.


All wrapped with such care and attention to detail.

So, time to say some thank-yous! To Kerry, for organising the swap, and to "twotoast" for being my "swapee". You made it really special :)

To see what other swapees received, have a peak at Kerry's blog.
And to see what I sent, go to Spotty Dog Social Club!

Happy sewing, 'til next time!

8 comments:

  1. I can relate to the isolation of rural sewing :-) The internet has been a wonderful tool, although it would be nice to talk to someone in real life other than Betty, my dressform, lol.

    Your package looks lovely! I'm happy it made you happy!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not just me then :)
      Did you know the Butterick pattern is yours from my last post, if you would like it please email me your address on phillylincoln@gmail.com and I will get it sent out to you!

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you liked your treats - and even more pleased that they cheered you up at a time when it was needed! The yarn was hand-dyed by myself, and is enough to make a pair of socks - you know you want to!

    You were a pleasure to buy (and make) for :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to hear that lovely parcel cheered you up! The sewing blogger community is great isn't it? What will you make with that gorgeous yarn?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though I'm not that rural, besides two family members I still don't know any people who sew (I mean "really" sew, not just an occasional girls' dress or curtain.) The sewing blog community is wonderful and amazingly positive.

    I hope you're on the upswing (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thank you :) The long sunny days and warmth suit me!

      Delete
  5. Aww, I'm so sorry to hear about your recent bout of illness, how rubbish. What perfect timing for this package to arrive then! Looks like she pulled out all the stops and filled it with fabulous treasures!

    Zoe xx

    ReplyDelete