Monday, 3 February 2014

Boot Rescue

I mentioned briefly in my last post that my much loved thrifted boots had started to leak. Apparently it only takes a couple of days after boots start leaking before they disintigrate. As these were my daily dog walking boots I couldn't wait to find a replacement.

I found these:





Virtually no wear with tread and maker's name intact (they are Scholl with leather uppers, made in Italy). They had a number of features I was looking for - they are brown, they have a low wedge heel (these are for walking), they are just the right width at the top for tucking skinny jeans in, they are padded and comfortable inside and they weren't expensive (£7.50).

Downside - the tops of the boots inside were pretty worn. This seems at odds with the intact treads (these are definitely not replacement soles - they are as one with the heel unit and still have the branding stamped in).


Maybe they were stored and started to degrade or maybe this was just a cheap finish.

Anyway I decided that rather carry on looking I would try a repair. I found some shiny brown ribbon in my stash. I don't generally buy ribbon so it's probably from a chocolate box or a gift. I pinned it to the boots, making sure to overlap the ends so that the cauterised ends covered the cut ends to prevent fraying.


I then hand-sewed the ribbon down at the top and bottom using a short running stitch and a sturdy needle. The whole repair took 30 minutes. Then I polished the boots (not that they really needed it, but it's the finishing touch).

The photo doesn't do the boots justice. They are actually quite shiny and lovely in real life :)

New thrifted boots ready for action!

I know some people will find the idea of second-hand footwear disgusting. I can understand this viewpoint, obviously I bypass any pairs that look worn, dirty, squashed or moulded to the foot of their former owner, but there are plenty of new or very nearly new pairs out there waiting to be discovered. I am as happy with my 'new' boots as if I'd bought a new designer pair. What do you think? Is secondhand footwear something you would ever consider?

Happy sewing, 'til next time!



13 comments:

  1. Great repair Phillipa! They look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm trying to have a thrifty and environmentally friendly approach to dressing as much as possible. We'll see how my 'new' boots measure up!

      Delete
  2. They look great, good for you! I have spent 6 months looking for some ankle boots that would fit me. Had to settle on some mens shoes in the end. Having kids seems to have made my feet abnormally wide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend who says exactly the same thing! We spend quite a lot of time discussing the best way forward. I think she usually ends up with Clarks, as some of their styles have a bit more width.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic repair! I love that you opted for an elegant burnished copper hued ribbon that matches the brown of your boots so very well. Terrific make do and mend mindset at work here. I hope your new boots give you many years of comfort service now.

    Big hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience with buying fabric from the States with me. I winced and could relate entirely to the import costs you got hit with (we get them, as well as tax, on international purchases over $20 and gifts from international sellers over $60). So very true - a few truly special online buys and as many items purchased offline as possible is quickly turning into the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make do and mend is in my blood! The women in our family have had to be pretty inventive over the years, as they were left alone in wartime. Maybe I should do a post on it, one day!

      Delete
  4. Pretty boots! A good pair of shoes are hard to find. I'm with you on the thrifted footwear - if they are not very worn then they are ok. My mom is one to donate shoes she has worn like once. too bad I am not her size!!
    Great job on the repairs - they look good as new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think me and your mom should talk ;)

      Delete
  5. When you showed me the boots I didn't even realise you had sewn the ribbons in yourself, very professional and a nice finishing touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you did a great job. The boots look very good now. I am happy to wear second hand footwear and just use a bit of tea tree oil if I feel concerned about the hygeine. But it amazes me how often I see unworn still labelled shoes in charity shops! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to get some tea tree oil - I always buy the new or virtually new pairs but I do like the idea of using this. I hear it's pretty strong stuff!

      Delete
  7. Very cute boots - and I like the finish with the ribbon - it makes them 'yours'! And what a bargain price!!

    ReplyDelete