Wednesday, 5 February 2014

Captcha - Apologies and Thank Yous

Oh no! Thanks to Jessica, who left a comment about a very co-incidental word (dressmakers, if you're interested!) she'd been asked to verify through Captcha, I discovered it was in operation on my blog! I honestly thought I'd removed it.

Big apologies - I've removed it now, and I owe everyone that's commented extra thanks. I know how irritating Captcha is and how hard some of the words are. Occasionally, I've even given up on leaving a comment on other people's blogs after the third attempt to guess an especially blurry word.

I'm now relying on Blogger's own spam filter and as a precaution have switched off anonymous comments. I'm sure this won't be a problem with any of you :). If I get a lot of spam I'll consider moving - maybe to Wordpress? We'll see what happens.

In the meantime THANK YOU so much for your patience and leaving comments despite having to jump this hideous hurdle. You're the best!

Happy sewing, 'till next time!

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Yay! Thanks for that, I just found you from the blog of Jessica and I hate Captcha too. I hope we keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too :) I think mostly people just want to comment and get on with their lives! Hopefully I can manage without Captcha.

      Delete
  2. lol those darn Captcha's. I dislike them too, but then still got a ton of spam :( It's one of the necessary evils ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll give it a go without on a trial basis. If I'm inundated with spam, I'll have to look for alternatives (clearly you have been inundated with spam recently!). It's true I comment on sites with Captcha so it obviously doesn't put everyone off (including me) but I much, much prefer to comments on sites without it. I can usually manage the numbers but at the end of the day with tired eyes those words can be a real challenge!!

      Delete
  3. Aww, I'm very happy to know that my comment and screenshot were so helpful to you, sweet Philippa. Captchas are one of those things that are good in theory, typically horrible in practise. They got so bad on some Blogger blogs last year (as in, on numerous occasions, the captchas were in alphabets other than that used for English, such as Chinese and Hebrew, neither of which I had any way to replicate on my English keyboard) that I started to avoid leaving comments on certain sites that used them. I find that Blogger scaled them back a bit, but they're often still hard to read and no where near as smooth a process as they should be. It's great that you got rid of yours. I haven't used one on my site in years (I just set all comments to be approved by me before they go live to weed out the spammers).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for making this decision! I didn't realise you didn't know... :) I know I would appreciate it too if someone told me that I had it; I don't think I do!
    You shouldn't have to worry too much about spam as long as you have not enabled anonymous commenting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to worry - you haven't got it, and I can always comment easily on your site :) Probably my main reason for blogging is to connect with other people with similar interests - I just want it to be as easy as possible!

      Delete