Coco No.1 is a long sleeved, dark blue and cream striped organic cotton.
Coco No.2 is a three-quarter sleeved, cream and chocolate brown striped organic cotton.
I made two small alterations - taking half the seam allowance for a few inches under the arms to allow for my full bust, and a small triangle out of the front split and an even smaller triangle out of the back split. This means my side splits over lap, front over back, to give a neater and straighter outline. Here is the first shirt before I figured out the alteration. I felt it stuck out a bit too much, but for anyone with more hip this would be a gift.
These are easy to do alterations that I will apply to any future Cocos. The look I'm going for is the classic Breton style top - not too fitted through the arms and body and fairly straight. The pattern does indent at the waist just the perfect amount to suggest a waist, while still being fairly true to the iconic original.
I had already bought these fabrics for Breton style tops before Tilly released her pattern intending to use a pattern from my stash, but since Tilly's was drafted specifically for use with firmer jersey it was a better choice (my original pattern called for a lot of stretch). They are made from organic cotton that sews almost like a woven, from an American seller on Etsy. I won't be ordering fabric from America again, as the import taxes cost almost as much as the fabric (which I naively hadn't expected). I will be sticking with European/UK sellers from here on out!
These tops hide a secret, too. The underarms look like this:
I had to piece the sleeves under the armpit as the fabric width shrunk so much upon washing and drying :( These fabrics are no longer for sale so no-one else should have the same problem, and fortunately the piecing affects neither the appearance or wearing comfort as they are completely invisible to everyone else.
Coco No. 3 is a navy blue cotton jersey with lace inset and 'bracelet' length sleeves - chosen purely because that was what the sleeve length worked out to be re-using old sleeves (see below). Ditto hem length which could do with being a little longer.
I made it from an old thrifted cowl neck top which had a back lace inset (the jersey body had started to develop holes), and a thrifted (but new with tag) polo neck top (very large size). I had to pretty much use the latter as a source of fabric except the sleeves, which I reshaped at the top and set-in after sewing the side seams (different to the pattern method).
2 old tops = one new Coco. Sorry no ironing had happened at this point!
I couldn't use the instructions on Tilly's blog for the lace inset - as this was a refashion I only had a certain amount of materials, but I'm quite happy with how it worked out. After all, the total cost of this top was only £3! Following the unexpectedly expensive striped organic jersey and holiday expenses, it was the right time for a bargain make.
I'm glad I can tick another Basic off my list and can finally re-purpose the two misshapen thrifted t-shirts that were my only long sleeved tops (one for night time and one for a cleaning rag I think). All my long sleeved t-shirts are now me-made - admittedly I have only three - but it is still a lovely feeling. The blue ones are also part of my Colette Wardrobe Architect project - they are just what I need for fit, style and versatility.
As you can tell I have embraced this pattern as a TNT. These are in heavy rotation and I think it's very likely I will make more when needed.
Til next time,