Sunday, 1 June 2014

Me-Made-May 2014 In Review

It turns out if you write one review post at the end of MMM it will be massive. People will sleep. So I've put my conclusions first and listed what I wore second in micro form. The lists are to show I completed my challenge as I only took a few photographs. No need to read the lists!!

Me Made May 2014

The Flickr group was even larger than last year! It was such a treat both to participate and see so many inspiring creations. Thank you Zo for organising it. It's also lovely to feel you're not alone - sewing can be quite a solitary hobby if you don't make an effort to find other like minded souls :)

Things I Achieved

This wasn't the easiest month for me as I had some unexpected developments in my personal life, so MMM took a bit of a back seat. I also had a lot of decorating to do (still ongoing), consequently I spent a lot of time in clothes I reserve for painting. Luckily the trousers I wear for this are me-made and the shirt me-altered, so I could still keep my pledge.

* I easily wore at least one me-made for 5 out of 7 days.
* I finished all the pesky alterations and mending. (This took a lot of willpower.)
* I finished the denim skirt I needed.
* I blogged what I'd made.

Things I Didn't Achieve !

* I wasn't very good with documentation. There were two weeks when I didn't get a photo up on Flickr. Documentation might be part of my challenge next year, as I can see the usefulness of it.
* I didn't get my apron finished.

Lessons

* One reason I have never taken part in a sewalong is because I am a relatively slow sewer and don't like to rush. Setting deadlines for my sewing is not going to happen often (if ever again)!
* I could do with an extra layer for this time of year, like a lightweight short jacket. 
* Non me-made days were jumper and jeans - I intend to give more thought to sewing knitwear (I've already thought about jeans and have a plan).
* I would like more colourful clothes.


Documentation

Week 1
What I Wore
Thursday 1st -- blue striped Coco top, red purchased scarf, blue cord Simple Modern Sewing skirt (2 me-mades).
Friday 2nd - So Zo knickers, cream purchased jumper, cream, blue, brown and gold infinity scarf, blue cord Simple Modern Sewing skirt (3 me-mades).
Saturday 3rd - navy lace inset Coco top, red purchased scarf, mash-up denim skirt (2 me-mades).
Sunday 4th - ancient beige jumper (reserved for housework), mash-up denim skirt - morning; special sari top, thrifted dark skinny jeans, thrifted cream crocheted look kimoney-thing (for daughter's concert in afternoon); (2 me-mades).
Monday 5th - ancient beige jumper, infinity scarf, mash-up denim skirt (2 me-mades).
Tuesday 6th - blue striped Coco top, mash-up denim skirt (2 me-mades)
Wednesday 7th - blue striped Coco top (again), red purchased scarf, thrifted dark skinny jeans (2 me-mades).
What I Did
Busy week but I somewhat reluctantly and after a good self-talking to started on the alteration/mending pile.
Photos uploaded to Flickr: 0

Week 2
What I Wore
Thursday 8th - cream striped Coco top, infinity scarf, thrifted dark skinny jeans (2 me-mades).
Friday 9th - lace inset Coco top, blue & white former sarong scarf, jeans as before, later hair scarf (very bad hair day) - counting as (2 me-mades) as hair scarf was repurposed rather than sewn.

This was worn for the Blue Friday theme. It was way too much blue even for me!
Saturday 10th - purchased jumper, jeans as before (0 me-mades).
Sunday 11th -purchased jumper, blue & white former sarong scarf, denim mash up skirt (2 me-mades).

Sunday 11th (scarf off).
Monday 12th - repeat of Sunday.
Tuesday 13th - cream striped Coco, jeans as before - morning, shirt with altered collar and me-made  elastic waist trousers for decorating - afternoon (2 me-mades)
Wednesday 14th - cream thrifted short sleeve shirt mended the night before, long corduroy Simple Modern Sewing skirt, later in evening cream striped Coco top (2 me-mades)
What I Did
More alterations/mending. Began my daughter's refashion and cut out and started to sew new denim skirt.
Photos uploaded to Flickr: 2

Week 3
What I Wore
Thursday 15th - cream shirt as before, long skirt as before (1 me-made)
Friday 16th - thrifted shirt with collar removed and re-shaped by me, elastic waist trousers (for decorating) (1 me-made)
I swear when I posted this I didn't realise the Friday theme was 'Too Pretty To Wear Pants'!
Saturday 17th - So Zo knickers, navy thrifted camisole and shrug, blue patterned skirt made from sarong fabric and vintage pattern (2 me-mades)
Sunday 18th - men's shirt to suntop refashion, mash up denim skirt (2 me-mades)
Monday 19th - camisole as Saturday, sarong fabric skirt (1 me-made)
Tuesday 20th - thrifted black T and thrifted blue and black weave linen trousers, blue & white sarong scarf (just about 1 me-made)
Wednesday 21st - tie dye Simplicity 1920 top, mash up denim skirt (2 me-mades)
What I Did
Finished alterations/mending, daughter's refashion and denim skirt! Small celebration. Just apron to go to fulfil my pledge!
Photos uploaded to Flickr: 2

Week 4
What I Wore
Thursday 22nd - blue striped Coco, Simple Modern Sewing skirt (2 me-mades)
Friday 23rd - blue striped Coco, red scarf and jeans as before (1 me-made)
Saturday 24th - purchased jumper, blue & white former sarong scarf, So Zo knickers, jeans as before (2 small me-mades)
Sunday 25th - cream striped Coco, jeans as before (1 me-made)
Monday 26th - decorating altered top and me-made trousers part of the day, cream striped Coco, infinity scarf, Simple Modern Sewing skirt the rest of the day, count as (2 me-mades)
Tuesday 27th - thrifted jumper, me-made infinity scarf, jeans as before (half or maybe 1 me-made)
Wednesday 28th - decorating clothes as before (me-made trousers). Later changed into yesterday's clothes (1 me-made)
What I Did
Photos uploaded to Flickr: 0 - but did manage a blog post.

Week 5
What I Wore
Thursday 29th - decorating clothes, followed by thrifted jumper and jeans (1 me-made)
Friday 30th - blue striped Coco top, Simplicity 2343 denim skirt (2 me-mades)

Saturday 31st -decorating clothes as before, briefly changed into clothes as Friday (3 me-mades)
What I Did
Continued with apron sewing.
Photos uploaded to Flickr: 1

hope you all had a great May, whether you participated in the challenge or not.

Happy sewing, 'til next time,

Philippa x

8 comments:

  1. Documentation was my big MMM pledge this year and I'm glad I kept it up. Next year I'd like more items to pull from for jeans-and-t-shirt days. And knits are soooo not scary! Try the Sewing with Knits craftsy,com class, it comes with 5 patterns and totally takes all the scary out of stretch sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the month-long wrap up. YOur readers can compare all of the 'me-mades' in one shot. My biggest problem was keeping straight what I wore when.
    Congratulations on dealing with the mending pile! I am so awful with that -I'd rather start from scratch than mend something. Naughty me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on completing MMMay14 ;) I do like your tie dye top and both denim skirts (ok, & your Coco - I may have a blue bias..) and I'm with Sox - I'd rather trace & cut than mend (or hem...), congratulations on working through yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done for getting all the mending done. Looking forward to seeing what you have in store jeans wise...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job sticking to your pledge! Mending is the worst and you pushed through it, kudos to you on that! Documentation was the hardest part for me too. It seems easy, take a picture each day, but when you have to do it – it becomes way more difficult! I find it hard participating in sew-alongs too because I like to go at my own pace – I never know when I’ll have good health days or bad health days so I like to be on my schedule ;-)
    Great pictures – we seem to have the same style - lots of blues, classic pieces. The painting picture was the best!! I’m so pleased we both made it through the month! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the blues and whites. The denim skirt looks like a great versatile skirt. My fav though is the tie dye simplicity top. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on completing me-made May! And while renovating too! I still love the painting photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, how wonderfully sweet that you have canine company in some of these photos. Annie is still way too energetic (she is incredibly high energy - sweet, loveable, smart as a whip, but at the extremely high end of the energy spectrum), so I still haven't gotten a proper shoot done with her. Hopefully one day!

    I think you got a lot done in just one month. Way to go!!! It can be tricky to document things for sure. Case in point, because of the long hours that Tony was working while we were in Vancouver, coupled with - Murphy's Law - lots of rain on the one whole day we had to spend together there, we didn't get in a single photo shoot while in Vancouver (much as I had really wanted to). Oh well! I did document a couple of outfits with hotel bathroom mirror selfies and Tony got one quick phone shot of me standing in front of the Fraser River, so I'll have some memories of what I wore to look back on down the road. Next time we're there (in Vancouver), I'm going to try even harder to get in a proper shoot - ideally with the sea as the backdrop.

    Big hugs & happy (almost) summer wishes!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete