Wednesday, 25 June 2014

Red Simplicity 1717 (Big Pockets Skirt)

I finally got around to making up this pattern forreal! Long time readers may remember I wanted to make this skirt in May 2013 out of denim, but the fabric quantity I had was so small I couldn't squeeze out the extra front and back seams so I ended up making a compromise here.


The skirt is a much darker red IRL but still bright. Also, I didn't put in a lapped zipper which the pattern suggests as I was mentally making the same skirt as before which has a side lapped zipper. I finished the back, sewed it all the way up, trimmed the seam allowances and then checked the instructions! Always check the instructions! Due to my reduced seam allowances I has to put the zip in the standard way. It looks OK but it isn't a delight. Fortunately I can't see it when I wear it!

The pattern is one of the Simplicity Amazing Fit range. I bought a few of these patterns a couple of years ago in the hope of easily overcoming some fit issues on my upper half. I don't really have any issues fitting below the waist (well not for skirts - I haven't tried fitted trousers yet), I just choose this one because I really love the style.

You can choose slim, average or curvy fit and while I wouldn't describe myself as slim in the slightest, it appears these categories refer primarily to ease over the hips. I didn't want lots of ease so I made the slim version. I added about an inch in length as this view is quite mini.

If I made it again I would probably make the average version, because while I got the fit I wanted over the hips, I forgot I have a backside and the skirt rides up a bit in this area. (Proof below.) Strangely, the skirt fits fine first thing in the morning, leading me to believe my backside grows as the day goes on.Curiouser and curiouser!
It could be to do with my stomach which often swells during the day due to a medical issue, making the whole thing tighter? Anyway, I think the skirt has a bit of a sixties vibe and I love the colour, but the fabric is not good. It's a light to medium weight red twill purchased second hand here. When you are buying thrifted fabric on the internet you rarely get a fabric content, and I think this one has some synthetic in it. 

As you can see despite endless fiddling with the tension and stitch length, it tends to look puckered and weighed down by the pockets. It didn't press well and sticks to the bumps in my figure. I tried putting a slip underneath, but the difference was so tiny I didn't think it worth lining it and potentially wasting more fabric. On the plus side, it's drapey enough not to be a dog cone! 

Tragically I have quite a bit of this fabric! Do you think it would be more suitable for this pattern, view D the jacket, as there are no weighty pockets or fastenings? Or should I just give up on this material and move on?

Thankyou in advance for any advice/comments, and I wish you all

Happy sewing 'til next time,

Philippa x





18 comments:

  1. Make a bag with it, much more forgiving of fabric type, you can always line it with something sturdier if needbe.

    Love the big pockets and the colour btw. Is this part of your capsule wardrobe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, an antidote to all the blue ;) I have already worn the skirt multiple times, despite it's faults!

      Delete
  2. Despite the issues, I really like this skirt Philippa! The color is beautiful! I also think the style suits you. I often wish I could find better bottom weight fabrics, something with a bit of stretch....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit more stretch would definitely have been a bonus. Other than basic cotton and wool, I really struggle to know what is appropriate as bottom-weight fabrics. A good fabric shop nearby with a knowledgeable advisor would be a wonderful thing.

      Delete
  3. I really like this. It might just be me reading this on a small screen, but the puckers don't look that bad. It is a lovely colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe they aren't so bad - I'm very critical of my own sewing projects, especially after they are just finished for some reason. I'm wearing the skirt, so I guess I'm over it, to a degree!

      Delete
  4. Oh no, I'm sorry that skirt and fabric aren't quite as you'd hoped. I think the style is very cute and summery and that it looks delightful on you all the same though. The red hue and big pockets give it a bit of a charming nautical vibe to me. I'd be tempted to pair it with a Breton top and some anchor themed jewelry. :)

    Happiest start of summer wishes, my sweet friend!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Or how about a cotton vintage style top in red and blue small florals? That would look pretty cheerful I think. We've already had some lovely sun in the UK. I hope you have the same xx

      Delete
  5. I think it looks great! I love the bright red. It definitely has a retro feel. I can't see any of the puckers you are talking about. Also, good that used something with drape! I have only worn my polka dot skirt a couple of times because the draft is so unnerving ;) I am actually revisiting the pattern now. Love those big pockets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love it when someone I 'know' has made the same pattern, it's so helpful :)

      Delete
  6. I love the skirt and the color! It's funny how our minds seem to travel 3 steps ahead when sewing. I have those "oops" moments a lot. Now that you have your fit just right you could sew it up again in a different fabric that you like more? (although I love the red!) I think sewing that jacket in that material has potential - if you don't end up liking it you wouldn't be out much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is just what I needed to hear and of course you are right! The fabric is not expensive or precious. When it's a bit cooler, I'm giving the jacket a go!

      Delete
  7. Oh, I must have missed this post in bloglovin before! What a cute skirt! I think it looks lovely on you, and a red skirt is a very useful basic, to have I think. I couldn't make out any riding up or puckering of the skirt in the pictures. Those nice deep pockets are fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pockets are the my motivation for making the skirt!

      Delete
  8. I like the red skirt very much.Big pockets are a great thing. I say give the jacket a try x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I will, as soon as it cools down a bit. I'm heavily in to summer sewing at the moment!

      Delete