Firstly, group apology if I normally comment on your blog. I am so behind on blog reading. I am still adjusting to working so much and am used to a lot more free time. I'm pleased to say the job is worth it and I already feel very much at home, but yes my online and real life social life have taken a bit of a dive.
Anyway. My first completed garment of the year is a skirt refashioned from a skirt I made from a thrifted dress. The first skirt I made was too short to be worn at the midi length I originally intended, unless it was pulled down low on my hips which wasn't comfortable (not sure how that happened - it was one of my beginners mistakes). It has never been worn but was a useful trial for the skirt I finally made here.
I kept it because I like the warm fabric and the golds, creams and blues in the pattern. This is the 'new improved' skirt:
The material is not like a modern fabric. The closest thing I can compare it to is ponte. It is one of those indestructible non-iron blends, but this one has the advantage of being 8% wool and even that tiny percentage makes it lovely and warm. I always worry these old-fashioned fabrics end up sitting in landfill for decades so it is good to use it. I can't imagine anyone buying clothes made from this anymore, unless they need a costume or fancy dress.
The refashion was cutting off the waistband and 7 inches of hem, which provided fabric for making a facing for the waist. The front of the skirt looked a bit plain so I made some patch pockets from the dress sleeves which I had saved. I made the round shape for the pockets by drawing round a saucer.
The swirly patterns at the top of the pockets were the dress cuffs. I put a button on each as the existing cuff buttonholes were still there. There are three buttons on the placket at the back too for fastening instead of a zip, as the placket was originally at the front of the dress and was quite shallow. They are more decorative than useful anyway because of the stretch. I got them out of the button stash started by my Grandma and continued by me. I finished the hem with bias tape.
I am really happy with how this turned out. Sometimes projects work just how you imagined - this was one. I am already digging through my refashion pile again. The period after Christmas always seems to refocus my thoughts on reducing waste - it must be a reaction to all the celebrations!
* I will be keeping a tally of the cost of my sewing at the end of each project during 2015. Materials purchased prior to this year will be listed as £0.*
Total cost of this project: £0.
A good start.
Happy sewing 'til next time,